Director, Resource Development
Reports to: CEO & President
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revision/Effective Date: 06/2018
Work with United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra (UWNNS) staff and volunteer teams to carry out UWNNS’s mission to link the community’s will and resources to improve lives. Primary function is to lead the resource development team and develop and execute annual fundraising strategy including major gifts, individual giving, corporate donations, stewardship, workplace campaigns, direct mail, and grant proposals.
Strategic Fundraising Plan Development
- Work with UWNNS management team to develop the annual fundraising strategy that aligns with the overall UWNNS Strategic Plan
Strategic Plan Execution
- Responsible for overall management and execution of annual fundraising strategy
- Drive key results in the areas of major gifts and planned gift development.
- Cultivate mutually-beneficial relationships with potential and existing individuals, groups, foundations, and corporate partners.
- Knowledgeable about all sources of revenue of the organization and communications with various audiences about revenues beyond annual giving (e.g. grants, corporate sponsorships, etc.)
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospective businesses, organizations, and individual donors.
- Leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities.
Resource Development Team Management
- Manage Resource Development team responsible for implementation of the annual fundraising strategy.
Development of New Funding Streams
- Develop strategies to increase revenue by identifying new market segments, new methods of giving, new sponsorship opportunities, new business, etc.
Development and Execution of Stewardship Strategy
- Develop and ensure appropriate recognition of individual and corporate donor through a stewardship and CRM strategy.
- Attend special event fundraisers, public relations, and networking events on a regular basis representing UWNNS.
- Promote a culture of fundraising in the organization at the staff, Board, and volunteer levels.
- Align and collaborate with volunteer engagement and marketing staff.
- Clearly communicate the organization’s mission, values and goals.
- Understand full span of UWNNS Community Impact programming activities that improve people’s lives.
- Build and maintain relationships with key community leaders, including those representing the business, government, and non-profit sectors.
- Work in conjunction with the community impact and marketing staff to develop sellable products and provide strong external community-building presence throughout UWNNS region.
- Serve as a member of the Management Team developing strategies to carry out the mission of UWNNS in accordance with its strategic direction and provide direction to the organization and staff.
- Provide direction and support as appropriate for meetings of Board of Directors, Executive Committee, staff, and committees.
- Partner with volunteers and UWNNS staff management team to help ensure organizational performance objectives are achieved.
- Ensure coordination and alignment of UWNNS activities in the areas of community impact, marketing and communications.
- Develop and manage budgets related to areas of responsibility.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively represents UWNNS in the community by engaging and maintaining contacts with local organizations, businesses, and individuals
- Clearly communicates the organization’s mission, values, and resource development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Well-organized, efficient, detail-oriented.
- Ability to work on many different types of tasks and meet required deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to work well with others to accomplish the work of the organization.
- Knowledge of nonprofits including diverse fundraising strategies.
- Experience in working with diverse populations.
- Good knowledge of group dynamics and good group facilitation skills.
- Ability to develop donor relationships utilizing excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to verbally communicate UW mission to potential donors.
- Have a reliable vehicle; possess current driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Willingness to attend national and regional conferences and workshops to develop skills and knowledge required for position.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED
- 5-10 years’ experience in nonprofit development.
- Experience managing major gift and/or planned giving strategies is preferred.
- A minimum of two years of supervisory experience preferred.
The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone, and via other devices. The employee must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare and analyze data and figures, operate a computer, and other standard office machinery. The employee is required to travel regularly to locations outside of UWNNS offices. The employee must have the ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Competitive salary depends on experience. Includes comprehensive benefits and retirement package.
Please email resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.