Programs we Fund
All agencies receiving funding from United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra have achieved the Standards of Excellence, overseen and administered by UWNNS.
2011-12 Funded Programs
- Wells Family Resource Center - $20,000 to bring the preschool to national accreditation standards for preschools in Wells, Nev., in order to meet the growing demand for comprehensive and effective early learning opportunities.
- Community Services Agency - $75,000 to operate its Youth Matter Now program in Washoe County designed to provide low-income youth and young adults with career information, career exploration and job experience in health and health-related jobs.
- Step 2 (in collaboration with ACCEPT, Safe Embrace, Advocates to End Domestic Violence, Committee To Aid Abused Women, Washoe Legal Services) - $75,000 to reduce the impact of family violence on individual family members and the family as a whole, while working to eliminate the intergenerational component of family violence.
- Nevada Rural Counties Retired Senior Volunteer Program (in collaboration with Alzheimer's Association of California and Northwestern Nevada) - $75,000 to provide affordable, non-medical home respite care and home companion services to help relieve family caregiver stress and provide basic services to the home bound.
- Quest Counseling - $50,000 to provide youth with the skills and tools to maintain sobriety through an intensive residential program and curriculum.
- Tahoe Family Solutions - $25,000 to provide critical mental health service to families and children throughout the Lake Tahoe region.
OVERARCHING - benefiting multiple focus areas
- Boys and Girls Club (BGC) of Truckee Meadows (in collaboration with BGC of Western Nevada, BGC of Mason Valley, BGC of Lake Tahoe, BGC of North Lake Tahoe, BGC of Elko)- $100,000 to provide essential workforce skills to youth, ages 10-18 throughout the entire UWNNS region.
- ReStart (in collaboration with Volunteers of America - Greater Sacramento and Northern Nevada) - $50,000 to provide substance abuse and mental health counseling for those experiencing homelessness.
- Community Counseling Center (in collaboration with Ron Wood Family Resource Center, Carson City Families First Drug Court, United Latino Community, Partnership Carson City) - $50,000 to diminish the impact of substance abuse on children in Carson City by providing substance abuse treatment to children under the age of 18, and parents who are required to complete treatment as part of a successful reintegration / recovery plan
- Ridge House (in collaboration with Step 1)- $50,000 to assist participants in locating and maintaining employment, managing their finances and tax return filings and preparing credit reports for eventual home mortgage applications.
- Nevada Youth Empowerment Project (in collaboration with Safe Embrace, Vernon 'the Tiger' White and Dr. Bob Quilitch)- $40,000 to provides a structured training program that gives young homeless women a chance to be self-sufficient and successful in life.
- South Lake Tahoe Family Resource Center (in collaboration with the Lake Tahoe Unified School District) - $25,000 to strengthen literacy and health outcomes for targeted families and children in South Lake Tahoe by enhancing the efforts of all of the collaborating partner agencies.
Helping children and youth achieve their potential.
Achieving financial self-sufficiency.
Improving people's health.
We Invite You to Join Us in Becoming a $100 Million Dollar Club Member by Donating Now. Your Gift Helps Improve Lives Right Here in Our Local Communities.