Northern Nevada Grade-Level Reading Coalition
Nevada’s children need help. Research shows that learning to read and write proficiently are two of the most powerful tools a child needs to grow successfully into adulthood. That’s why we’ve launched the Northern Nevada Grade-Level Reading Coalition. Our goal is to dramatically increase the literacy proficiency of our children by the end of grade three from a low of 48% to 75% by 2020 across the region.
We cannot do this alone. It is a major undertaking that requires the collaboration and guidance of committed individuals, organizations, governmental entities and businesses from many walks of life. Based upon the shared recognition of this critical need and the desire to improve the lives of children, leaders from throughout the region have come together as the Northern Nevada Grade-Level Reading Coalition to drive this invaluable effort.
The Reading Coalition’s Work
Armed with the primary goal of improving the ability of northern Nevada children to read and write by the end of grade three, the Reading Coalition has targeted its energies in several key directions:
- Focusing on early childhood education from birth to five years old. Children who enter kindergarten with poor early literacy skills tend to be poor readers in first grade and even into high school.
- Engaging parents and families through various programs to help their children with early literacy skills such as vocabulary, knowledge of the alphabet, and interest in stories. This also includes generating financial support for early childhood literacy programs for low to moderate-income children ages 3-5 to help them better prepare for kindergarten.
- Improving attendance in the classroom and in literacy-focused out-of-school activities.
- Making summer a rich time for reading at home by providing books, reading materials and library cards.
- The Coalition has galvanized community leaders in prioritizing early childhood literacy as a key strategy to meet the needs of Nevada’s future workforce and to put into action their commitment through advocacy and fundraising. It has inventoried early literacy programs in Washoe County and created an environment of cooperation and information sharing among a wide number of groups.
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Boys & Girls Club Truckee Meadows
Children’s Advocacy Alliance
Chamber of Commerce Reno + Sparks
Communities in Schools - Western NV
Community Foundation of Western Nevada
Community Health Alliance
Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada
GE Oil & Gas
KNPB Channel 5 Public Broadcasting
Nevada Department of Education
Nevada State Library, Archives & Public Records
Northern Nevada Literacy Council
Housing Authority of the City of Reno
Renown Health, Child Health Institute
Seniors in Service
Sierra Nevada Journeys
Spread the Word Nevada
United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra
University of Nevada, Reno College of Education
University of Nevada, Reno Cooperative Extension
Washoe County Library System
Washoe County School District
Washoe K-12 Education Foundation
Wells Family Resource Center
Wells Fargo Bank