Reading with your child/children and promoting positive experiences around books has a powerful impact on their reading skills and overall learning. We invite you to make reading memories together all year long!
Tips for Reading with 0 to 2-year-olds:
- Make sure your child can see the pictures
- Encourage your child to touch the book
- Let the child turn the pages
- Move on to a different activity when the child loses interest
- Talk about what happens in the pictures
- Allow your child to color while listening to you read
Tips for Reading with 3 to 5-year-olds:
- Introduce the book including the title, author, and illustrator
- Discuss what the book might be about based on the cover
- Point to words as you read to help them follow along
- Discuss new words. For example, "This big house is called a palace. Who do you think lives in a palace?"
- Read a child's favorite book over and over again
- Stop and ask about the pictures and what they think will happen next
- Grab a piece of paper and create an activity together based on the book!
Tips for Reading with 6+-year-olds:
- Pick a comfortable spot to read in
- Read aloud together and take turns
- Create a reading routine - choose a special reading time each day!
- Help your child sound out new words
- Ask questions about what they have read - have them retell you the story
- Create an activity together based on the book with everyday items
- Be encouraging!